It is becoming starker by the day that unless we act fast…the social unrest induced by food prices in several countries will conflagrate into a global contagion, leaving no country – developed or otherwise unscathed. Indian Finance minister Palaniappan Chidambaran
- Wheat prices have increased 120% in the past year.
- Rice prices around the world have increased 75% in two months.
- Wheat price increases have more than doubled the cost of bread in most poor countries.
- The World Bank warns food prices are likely to stay above 2004 levels until 2015.
- The global food bill has risen 57% in the past year.
- It takes 232 kilograms of corn to fill a 50-litre car tank with ethanol. That is enough to feed a child for a year. (Source: The Age)