The finalists are:
- S Byatt The Children’s Book (Random House, Chatto and Windus)
- J M Coetzee Summertime (Random House, Harvill Secker)
- Adam Foulds The Quickening Maze (Random House, Jonathan Cape)
- Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall (HarperCollins, Fourth Estate)
- Simon Mawer The Glass Room (Little, Brown)
- Sarah Waters The Little Stranger (Little, Brown, Virago)
The six books were selected from the Man Booker Prize longlist of 13.
The winner will be announced on October 6 2009, with the winner receiving £50,000 (approx $96,000 AU).