Summer Holiday Reading

Summer holidays….the perfect time to catch up on some reading. So what do librarians read when they are on holidays? Do they read at all?

In response to a call out to my librarian colleagues at CSU as to what they will be reading over Christmas, we’ve compiled a list. See their answers below.

Our pick of books to read over the Christmas/New Year break:

Kylie

• Papillon by Henri Charriere – my next book club choice
  • Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee – I’ve been putting this one off, worried it might kill my fond memories of To Kill a Mockingbird
  • World of Numbers by Adam Spencer, because I get excited about nerdy mathematics!
Jeanette
  • Island Home, Tim Winton’s latest novel; I am a big fan of his work
Carrol 
Lauren
Susanna
  • Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody. Now that the final book has been released I am planning to re-read the series. It might be ambitious to try to read all seven but I’m hoping to finally get some closure!!!
  • The Red Queen by Isobelle Carmody
Petrina
Carole
  • Last Night in Twisted
    River
    by John Irving
  • Plato at the
    Googleplex
    by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein – waiting for those lazy summer
    days where your mind can roam.
 Sarah
  • The Complete Fairy Tales. At the time of publishing in 2008, the compiler believed it to be the most complete and accurate collection of Grimm fairy tales. 
  • White Beech: The Rainforest Years by Germaine Greer. It is profound and empowering – and I’ve only read the introduction so far!

Sue

• My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises by Fredrik Backman – on loan from Carole on her recommendation
Toby
Annette
  • Queen of the Flowers: a Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood. I’m slowly working my way through all of the Phryne Fishers, but not reading them in order.
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2) by Ben Aranovitch
  • Spinning Out by Christine Darcas, a chicklit one for a little non-mystery to read
Carla
  • Dirty
    Old London: The Victorian Fight Against Filth
    by Lee Jackson  
  • Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody with William Hoffer
  • My
    Name is Mahtob
    by Mahtob Mahmoody – this is the sequel to Not Without My Daughter, written by
    the daughter, after the events of the first book
Jill
  • Remembering Babylon by David Malouf, because I have enjoyed his previous writing and I like historical fiction
  • Blood River : A Journey Through Africa’s Broken Heart by journalist Tim Butcher
Claudio

• The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood 
  • Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism by David Harvey 
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume One: Where on Earth by Ursula K. Le Guin

Laura

• Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie
  • Chris Hadfield’s An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything. I went and saw his speaking tour and don’t want my signed copy to go to waste 
Janine
Janine reading