Social media is now a part of our everyday life. Used correctly, it can assist you in your studies as well as your professional career. If you are keen to use social media to create an online professional profile, the Library is running two workshops to help you develop your Personal Learning Network, and manage your online information.
The first workshop – Learn To Connect: Developing your Personal Learning Network (PLN), is being run as an Online Library Workshop on Tuesday the 1st of August at 6pm. This session will go for one hour, and will explore topics such as:
- The benefits of a Personal Learning Network.
- How a PLN can help keep your professional development up-to-date.
- How to connect with others in your profession/field of study.
- How to create accounts with three popular applications: LinkedIn, Twitter, and feedly.com.
The second workshop – Learn To Connect: Managing Online Information, will be run as an Online Library Workshop on Tuesday the 8th of August. This one hour session looks at how you can keep track of data once you’ve created your online persona, and get a lot of information coming your way! The workshop will demonstrate:
- The OneNote and Pocket applications and how to use them for study and collaboration.
- How to evaluate online material using the CRAP test (currency, reliability/relevance, authority, and purpose/point of view).
- The legal issue of Copyright, and how you can re-use online material without getting into trouble!