Exams are just around the corner, and there are many things you can do to ensure you perform better in exams and achieve great results. Everyone knows that exams can be a hugely stressful time in your life, so now is a great time to begin your exam preparation for Session 2. Why not try and reduce your stress levels by being as organised, focused and healthy as possible at this time? Once you’ve got the initial exam details such as date, time and place covered – check out the following tips and tricks the Library has put together to help you plan the lead up to your exams, and be more than ready on the day!
Take the time to plan:
- Prepare a timetable of your exams, a study plan and goals for each day/week.
- Find a study space that is comfortable, quiet, well lit, organised, and has no distractions nearby.
- Make sure you have everything you need before you start each study session.
- Take regular study breaks. Most experts recommend taking a break every 45-50 minutes!
- Practice with past exam papers. Try searching the Past Exam Search page or talk to your lecturer for help accessing.
- If necessary, talk to your employers early to let them know you need to limit your shifts/hours while studying.
Look after yourself!
- Exercise for 20 minutes before an exam – this can boost your memory and improve your performance.
- Schedule activities you enjoy into your study plan, as this can reduce your stress levels enormously.
- Don’t get hungry when studying! Healthy snacks will keep your brain and body energy levels going for longer.
- Remember rest and relaxation, especially before bed, to slow your brain activity down.
- Just say “No” to parties during the weeks close to exams, think of the pay-off!
Did you know your ALLaN team can help you prepare for each of your upcoming exams, with appointments via Skype, email, or phone? ALLaN advisers can help you plan a study schedule, assist you with revision techniques, discuss what to expect on exam day and teach you strategies to stay calm and focused. You can book weekday or weekend appointments, whichever suits your schedule most. The ALLaN team also runs online workshops, and provide recordings to help you learn the best ways to tackle your upcoming exams:
The ALLaNs online workshops include:
- Sitting exams – strategies and tips, or watch the recording of this session.
- Strategies for effective learning and memorising, or watch the recording of this session.
- Click the AllaNs Workshops and Events page for more class time options.