Did you know that on May 17th, 1990 – 30 years ago – the World Health Organization removed homosexuality from the Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems? International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia & Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) celebrates LGBTIQ+ people globally, and works to build inclusion across communities by supporting LGBTIQ+ youth, educating the masses and partnering with organisations to create programs and resources.
IDAHOBIT Day has rolled round again and we’ve seen some transformative action over the last number of years to champion inclusion and awareness of the LGBTIQ+ community. Friends, there is no time like the present – it’s a time to go rainbow and celebrate equality!
Here are just some of the ways you can get on board:
- Fly the rainbow flag! Show your support by wearing some rainbow clothing, jewellery, or paint one on yourself
- Host an online party or trivia night. Pump up the tunes and deck yourselves out with pride
- Donate and support Minus18 and other initiatives that hope to improve the lives of LGBTIQ+ youth
- Become an ally! Find out more about workplace training and workshops
- Simply vocalise your support for sexual and gender diversity on social media. Use the hashtag #IDAHOBIT